Friday, September 23, 2005

A Visit from 'The Stupid Fairy'

As Gerry Adams once said (sorta) .... "She hasn't gone away you know."

Well I had a visit from an old friend last night at the Drogheda tournament, shortstacked as usual until the freezeout begun, I built my stack through some quite nice poker based on solid hands, nothing amazing, but just played quite strongly, to build my stack up to about 30000, and we were down to 21 or 22 people.

My stack is in the top 6 or 7 left, and there's plenty of shortstacks around, so I'm feeling quietly confident of another final table appearance.

Then the wheels come off, and I'm disappointed in myself really, I though I had left this poor play behind.

Firstly, I got AJ spades, in CO position, so definitely a blind robbing opportunity (800/1500), so I put in a raise of 5000 into the BB who has only about 12000 left, so he was going to have to have a good hand to defend his blind. Anyway he called flop came 7 4 10 (2 spades), so I had overcards and nut flush draw, so put him all-in for his last 7000. He himmed and hawwed and called with his A 4, so my stack is reduced to 18000, as no help came for my flush.

I wasn't too bothered about this play, I tried to put pressure on the shortstack from the off, I think he made a very questionable call of the raise, and spiked a 4, shit happens. You have to make moves like this in a tournament of these amount of runners, it was a power play semi-bluff, and all the conditions were right for the move, it just didn't pay off.

Then I get my visit from Stupid Fairy a couple of hands later, I'm embarrassed writing this but heh, it's a blog, so there has to be Bad and Ugly as well as the Good ...right?

UTG, stack of 18000, blinds about to go up to 1500/3000 next hand, I get 88. My instinct said fold, a raise would require 8000 at least to get around this table, and if called I'd be in limbo land, and after my recent flush draw episode, there was a good chance I would be called. So fold is the decision, next thing I hear is 'All-In' (who said that?) ...lol.... it was the 'Stupid Fairy' and my stack is in the middle of the table, a very quick call from a large stack to my immediate left, and I knew that I'll be home an hour earlier than the last couple of weeks.

So my 8d8h is up against KsKc .....goodnight Irene, and thanks Stupid Fairy, I've missed you, I thought you had found some other sucker to play with.

Flop 6d 9d 5d .... oooohhhhh, any diamond, any 7, and 8 .... the lad with KK is shitting himself

Turn 8 ! ... damn, it's a 9, I thought it was an 8 for a second ..... pant pant

River ... K

I fairness, it was nearly worth it, to see the sweat running off yerman with the KK.

Cherrio Cheerio Cheerio

Myself and the Stupid Fairy had quite a discussion going home in the car !

1 Comments:

At 1:32 PM, Blogger Paul Johnson said...

Love your blog. Take a look at mine at http://www.hen-do-uk.info/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home