Saturday, May 06, 2006

The Poker Police

Well, I'm back!

3 months since my last post, which I see was the day before we played in The Angler Rest team event, which is a co-incidence, because it's on again tomorrow,

Hopefully we'll have the same result, as 'The Culchies' covered themselves in glory (and beer) by folding ourselves to victory :) ... It was such a good laugh, and looking forward to tomorrow.

Anyways haven't played a tremendous amount of poker really, and I can't be arsed talking about the events either on this post... my head hurts from being on the beer last night, so I feel like shite, and I decided I'd rather talk about The Poker Police.

The Poker Police are a recently established organisation formed in mid to late 2005, but have recently become a more powerful group, with recently recruited young kadets added to their ranks, they are becoming quite a formidable force.

I don't really mind the fact that there is a Poker Police force, but it does kinda grate my gears when the rules they lay down and dictate are not really followed by their own members.

Hypothetical Example ...

Poker Police player raises from the early position with 56 hearts (well it is suited), gets a caller. Flop comes down Ace high, Poker Police Player takes the pot with a bet representing the Ace .... N1, wp .... sometimes because of their fierce reputation, they actually just steal the blinds, as no-one calls.

'Donkey' (an affectionate term for random player not in Poker Police) raises from early position with 56hearts, Poker Police man 'smooth calls' from the BB with his pocket Kings, he doesn't like to re-raise here, because he can outplay the donkey after the flop. Flop comes 5 6 2.

Policeman checks, Donkey makes a pot sized bet, Policeman has him trapped, goes all-in, turns over his Aces gleefully, only to see the smile wiped from his face by the Donkey's two pair.

As you can see, this is a criminal offence that the Donkey has committed here.

Policeman " You're some Donkey, you're under arrest for raising from Early position with that shite ! 56 soooted ... have you no respect for Poker Law and Order? ... You are an idiot"

Donkey "Hee Haw, but officer, I've seen you raise with 56 once before from early position, I even see you ....."


Anyways, you get the picture.

I'm a little weary of the Poker Police lately, they've been 'dissing' quite a few players which is pretty disrespectful. It's their to be seen in their 'tone'... they rubbish certain achievements or tournaments.... they are quite clever in the way that they do that as well. They don't say " You're a shite player, and you're no good" ....... they'll say something like "At that level of player" or they'll challenge their hand analysis in a spiteful rather than in a constructively critical way. They seem to patrol in packs as well, they gang up on their prey, not nice to watch really.

Don't get me wrong, I love poker, but I think the main reason I love poker is the challenge against fellow players, pitting your wits against them, being aggressive when you think you can get away with it, or have the best hand ..... selling a false image for a play later in the tournament and best of all having the banter with folks who also love poker ... the comradery is great. Sure it's great when you win, but there has to be losers as well.... I like shaking the hand of losers, and when I lose I like someone offering me a handshake as well.

That handshake means alot in poker. It means more than "good game", it means "See you around next time, fellow competitior" ..... or at least it should.

I just wish The Poker Police would join in the fun, and stop being so disrespectful and aggressive with others, and then we can all just get on with one and all.

3 Comments:

At 4:14 AM, Blogger Brian Mc said...

Hmmm... Nice post.

Was there a last longest bet last night? Who won?

:)

 
At 1:17 AM, Blogger Rory Cartwright said...

I hope I'm not a member of this police force... I do moan a bit about said 'donkeys', but tis all good natured :)

Also, I'm interested in this special ability they have to turn KK into AA as in the above hand,,, genius!

 
At 8:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent post, I'd like to hear more about the poker police, it was worth the 3 months wait.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home