Friday, May 19, 2006

You Gotta Laugh !

Rounders123, Ntlbell, Shortstack, HectorJelly, Fuzzbox, Culchie, Mr Pillowtalk, El Stuntman, Big Dragon.

If you are anyway a normal person, you are probably a little confused.

No, these are the not the names of ex-presidents, indeed, nor or they names picked from the 2.30 at Chepstow. Maybe they're an Irish Version of the Tellytubbies or The Wombles?

Hope, these are the internet aliases of grown men, who in some instances have become friends.

Look at what Poker has done to me !

I used to be called Michael (when I was in trouble with my mother, I was anyway) and more commonly 'Mick'.

I was in out having a couple of pints in Lucan during the week, meeting up with an old school pal, lifelong friend, but unfortunately a non poker player, but is an Arsenal Fan, so we met up for The Champions League Final.
So we were having the few scoops, happy as Larry, and it was my twist, probably the 4th or 5th pint, and when the barman came back with the change, he said "there ya go Culchie" ... "Thanks" I said, not taking my eyes of the TV screen.
Next second I get a dig in the ribs from my buddy. "Hey, that fellah called you a Culchie" he said.
"What" says I.
"He called you a Culchie, he has some cheek!".... I looked up and recognised a guy I had played against at one of The Anglers Rest tournaments, I don't even know his name. I nodded in recognition at the barman, he 'saluted' back.

Anyways when the match was over, I had to explain to my buddy about boards.ie and how poker players have aliases, often not knowing the first name of many players, but knowing them by their aliases.

He thought it was hilarious ...you know what he's dead right !

2 Comments:

At 7:57 AM, Blogger Rory Cartwright said...

thats why I picked the mysterious handle of...roryc. Genius

Although most people still just call me w**ker...

 
At 9:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

lol, it's crazy alright. Poker players call me Lenny now... my own fault for picking the name of a simpsons character! And I've a load of nicknames from my time on the hurling pitch as well. Cant remember my real name anymore. :)

Derek M

 

Post a Comment

<< Home